Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Qnap ts-453d questions?

Ok. I asked this question earlier and got a reply. "The website for Qnap shows that I can use the ts-453d with 8 cameras on a home surveillance system. Qnap says it needs 8gb ram to do so. But the 4gb specs say it will transfer 160 GB per sec, and the nas surveillance calculator shows I will need something like 48gb per sec. Can I do 8 cameras with 4gb model (I plan on upgrading to more than 8 at a later date)?"
The reply I got is "IP cameras themselves do not require extra RAM. You can have 8 cameras recording with 4GB RAM with no problems. You need RAM for playback. It also depends on which software you will use to operate your cameras. If you use Surveillance Station, this app do not need much resources to run and operate. If you are looking at QVR Pro then this app will require some more resources then the other app mentioned. QVR Client is a desktop app for your computer. The requirement for 8GB RAM is mentioned for your computer if you refer to this : https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/software/qvr-pro
Either way, whichever software you choose to use, you can upgrade RAM capacity at any time in the future."
I have another question. So the 8gb ram requirement is for my home computer? I have never used a nas, but think the features of one (qumagie, qvr pro) are phenomenal apps. So just to be clear, using the qvr pro software, if I get the 4gb ts-453d, and have a home computer with more than 8gb of ram, I shouldn't have any problem? Does this apply to the hdmi output of the device as well? What i want to do is have the 453d in my garage inside a large safe. run a cat6 cable to my router, to be able to access it from one of 3 computers. all will have more than the 8gb of ram. when i get all of the cameras i want for a surveillance system, is all i will need then a switch? sorry for so many questions, just havent done much with networking before, but I think a nas is the best solution for the cost in my case. Thanks in advance. Also, does NasCompares have affiliate links for purchases or a patreon?