Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS Server?

Hi,

Thanks for your great review videos, really enjoyable.

I'm trying to determine what NAS server is best for my small business.

At the moment I am working from home, but we have a small office for 3-4 employees.

Our company is an Architecture and Geospatial consultancy, and we work with big files such as CAD, 3D and photoshop files.

We rarely use any media or video data.

Recently we have been dealing with Point cloud files that come from our survey equipment, and these can be around 2-10 GB in size.

We currently have a WD My Cloud NAS server, but need an additional collaborative server for more of our data storage. It's important we can access remotely also.

I cannot decide between the below:

- Synology DS718+
- WD my cloud ex4100
- QNAP TS-431p

Would you mind advising which would be acceptable?

Thank you for your support.

Working with large files like this requires good bandwidth LAN connection. While doing files transfers via 1GbE connection other users get effected by this instantly. If you had dual LAN model like DS720+ (or DS718+) Synology would allow you to activate load balancing. This would direct traffic through other LAN ports while the first one is overloaded. But the best option would be connecting via 2.5GbE or faster. TS-253D comes with 2.5GbE and PCIe slot. This slot can be used for 5GbE or even 10GbE upgrade. You can still use your old wiring for speeds up to 5GbE in the best case. Quite a few people have also managed to connect USB 5GbE Qnap adapter to a Synology. This could be also a solution.But certainly, you need to consider models with multi LAN or upgrade option for future-proofing.I hope this helps.