Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS Advice?

Hi there,

Love the work and videos! I finally at the point to buy NAS for my small business which uses graphics a lot. Architecture.

My thinking has been the DS1520+ plus or the DS620 Slim( I really love the compact form factor). I will be using the full DSM software for Mail, etc. You mentioned Slim has almost all the software as DS1520+ but not sure what software is missing on the slim. I love the small factor but am looking to be pragmatic for the business. Expandilility be nice but not essential at this point as just keen to get onto the NAS SYnology system and can review upgrades in a few years.

So my question fundamentally is, when is the SMB updates due in your opinion? I have mainly waiting for the 10 Gigabit LAN port upgrades across the board. Unclear on why the 1GB is still there. Worth waiting or just get stuck in now on your suggestions re-above comments?

Look forward to your feedback.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Grant
Yes, Synology slim series come with dual-core Celeron CPU which enables all of the functions and apps Synology offers. Expansion is not possible on this model though. Can replace a few of the drives with bigger ones later on. This will increase the storage space.DS1520+ can be expanded and it also features 4 LAN ports which is useful if you have several users connecting.Lately, people have been using Qnap USB 5GbE adapters on Synology. If Synology themselves do not come out with an adapter, people will just sort this out themselves.I hope this helps.