Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

For a 6-bay DS1621 SHR or SHR2?

Im starting out and am a first time user. I just got a DS1621 and have DSM installed, but don’t want to make a mistake in setting up the wrong disc configuration.

Personally:
- I currently have run out of Apple’s 2TB cloud storage, and also have tons more personal photos and videos on Amazon and Google Photos. Probably around 3TB altogether.
- I have movies and music backed up on external 4TB drives.

Business:
- Looking to have files, contacts, chat, and lots of varying documents.

My question:
I currently have a 6-bay, but only have 4 - 6TB HDDs. I went ahead and got the NVMEs populated for caching, but don’t have the money now for those other 2 slots. I am leaning towards SHR so I don’t have to worry about purchasing the same brand and model drives, but am realizing that SHR is similar to RAID 5 and SHR2 is equivalent to RAID 6. However, on a 6-bay I am seeing a lot of un-used space with SHR2, and am really debating its usage.

I like the thought of 2 discs of safety being that I don’t have an affordable backup solution. I know you say that a NAS is not a backup, and that we should always back up to cloud and locally, but both seem pretty pricey. I could use the old 2 - 4TB externals to backup some info, but it obviously won’t back everything up.

What RAID or SHR configuration would you recommended? Am I freaking out too much in concerning myself with a possible disc failure and wish I would have gone with SHR2 over SHR? Do you have any other suggestions that I may have not looked at or considered to properly set everything well the first time?

Thanks in advance!
Very good choice on a NAS.Backup is a good thing in case of disasters like floor/fire/theft. But if you are more worried about disk failure then having RAID6 / SHR2 would be a safer option.Alternatively, you could get a cheap j series NAS and set up automated backups, or you can also use old backups UBS drives and keep your most sensitive data safe this way.But in meantime 2 drive redundancy will be a better choice.I hope this helps.