Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Please Help with Network and Switch advice?

Hello NasCompares,

Please, I need help regarding some confusion I have regarding the internet and network switch for a 10gbe ecosystem. I recently bought a QNAP TS-453D along with 2 12TB Ironwolf HDDs. My plan is to set up the NAS to be used to video edit from and also backup video and photo files as an archive. The confusion I have is that I don't understand how exactly to obtain 10gbe speeds or if I even can. Even after watching a bunch of your YouTube videos (as well as others), reading through websites such as yours, and "googling" online, I still haven't seen a clear answer on this. Youtubers claim that now they can finally upgrade to 10gbe even though they've had access too such internet speed for years. Does this mean they've been paying for 10gbe speeds from their internet provider for no reason?

I have Verizon Fios gigabit internet speed. Am I able to obtain 10gbe connectivity from this or is there no reason to buy a switcher that supports ports above 1gbe? I looked on the Verizon website and it does not seem like they offer a faster plan than my gigabit ethernet, so I do not know how other people are achieving their 10gbe speeds. I looked through your 2019 and 2020 recommended switchers, should I get one of those 10gbe ones or just get a cheap 1gbe switch? The four ethernet ports on my Verizon fios provided router (G3100) are taken up by family, besides the single one that I am using. I should be fine using that single port to connect my own personal switch to and then connect my PC and NAS to correct? How about if I connect 2-3 gaming systems and a laptop to the switch as well. Is that fine or would I lose bandwidth by clogging up that single port (from router to switcher) if I am simultaneously running 2 - 4 different connected devices?

I definitely appreciate any insight you can offer me as to what my best set-up solution is and what to buy regarding switcher recommendations and my internet speed. Such as, also, if I should purchase a QNap 10gbe & ssd pcie adapter. Or, perhaps I should just use the two included 2.5gbe ports on the nas and link aggregate connecting those both to the switch? Or, if my max speeds are indeed 1 gigabit, then I could try out one port from nas to the switch and the other connected directly to my PC for both direct and internet access to the NAS? Lastly, I do not require a switch with too many ports. A lot of the 10gbe switchers I see have a ton of ports. I just really need for my PC and NAS - which may possibly use two ports if I link aggregate the two 2.5 connections. The game systems and laptop I would only really connect if the recommended switch mandatorily has those extra ports.

Thanks so much for your time and any help you can provide me. It has been exhausting trying to figure out answers to these questions myself. I will make sure to donate something for your efforts through your "buy me a coffee" donation link.

Thanks again and take care <3,

- Miguel
You do not need a 10GbE Internet for a 10GbE devices to work. This is something for local use. Connecting to or from an outside world will always be different.For local video editing, you simply connect dual 10GbE LAN port switch with additional 1GbE ports. All these switches will have big enough switching fabric to ensure there is enough room for 10GbE as well as 1GbE traffic. You can then connect your NAS and your PC via these 10GbE ports and the rest of the devices will connect via 1GbE. You will need a 10GbE card for a NAS though and same for a computer if you have none. If switch seems too expensive then you can connect a NAS directly to your PC and another LAN to a router.I hope this helps.