Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology DS 1621+ vs Synology DS1821+?

Although not a professional photographer, I have a lot of photos and recently purchased a high resolution digital camera. I have photos on 6 devices and want to consolidate them onto a NAS. I have a MacBook Pro which is now constantly out of storage.

I am not technically inclined. I started this journey thinking that the Synology DS 1520+ would be more than sufficient for my needs. However, further research seems to suggest that I should get a device that is upgradable to 10 Gbe which brought me to the Synology DS1621+

Having come this far, I am wondering if the 1821+ is more bang for the buck. I would appreciate your feedback.

Thank you.
Glenda
DS1621+ and DS1821+ are the same NAS with different bay count. If you need more storage space you may go for more bays. Or if you are not sure about the future, you can choose 8 bays but put in only 6 drive. So you can expand later or have SSD aditional RAID.More drive also mean better performance and speeds. This is something useful when considering 10GbE.Both of these models can be upgraded with 10G card.Here is a difference :https://www.synology.com/en-uk/products/compare/DS1621+/DS1821+I hope this elps.