Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

QNAP expansion?

Hi there I have a qnap ts 453Be with two bays with 4tb ironwood drives in raid 1 They are nearly full.

I want to buy two 10tb drives for the other bays.

I could set these up raid 1 too and have 14tb of space ?
In future If I want to replace old 4tb drives later with bigger drives say a further two 10tb drives. Can I just copy data on 1 old 4tb drive to a new 1otb drive (which I have just swapped out for one of the old 4tb drives) . Then swap out that old 4tb and set up raid 5 across the four 10tb drives ?

Or I think I can add them now and set the RAID to 5 across 4Tb,4Tb,10Tb,10TB but believe this will limit the new drives to 4tb too and only get 75% of this ie 12tb. Future wise though I think would be simpler as I could just replace one drive and reset raid. Then swap out other and reset raid.

Im am def no expert and just picking things up from internet.
So would appreciate if you could confirm the options are correct and what you think would be best.

Many thanks
Lorraine
Yes, you can create another RAID1 with new 10TB drives. You will then gen this theoretical 14TB space.When you want to upgrade old 4TB drives, just replace one of them and let the rebuild to finish. Then replace another one and you will have new capacity available on the primary RAID with all data on the new media.If you want to create a RAID5 then copy data from secondary RAID to a new bigger primary RAID. Delete secondary RAID. And add choose an option to migrate from RAID1 to RAID5 using additional 2 drives.I hope this helps.