Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What NAS?

I have been watching your YouTube videos, specifically about the 2bay latest and greatest from Synology and QNAP. Very helpful. I think I should get the DS720+, but was curious what you thought and if I should upgrade the RAM or do anything else as part of the process. It is for a small business where 3 people are using the shared file syncing to update contracts, bills, and other PDFs. Everyone's personal files are synced and backed up as well. I have a few other computers that also backup to the NAS but don't really have anyone working on them on a daily basis. We currently have DS214+ that I installed about 5-6 years ago and another single bay NAS from synology. Basically, I have 3, 3TB HDDs backing up the same data, one in a remote location. It works fine, but it certainly slow compared to what is out there today. I am interested in adding some more features and keeping the existing NAS as backup for the primary NAS I am about to order. The features I wanted to add that don't seem to be available to the hardware I have now are: email server (synology seems to have a better option than QNAP from what I see); basic wordpress webhosting for site that will have little to no traffic; the google office type features. I just have a cable internet connection 100/10, and we do remote in on the phone app to get files saved to the shared file. Using windows computers, btw. Also, I sync files remotely to a laptop. I have a gigabyte LAN where the NAS is and don't know that I could really utilize the 2.5 option that comes on the QNAP. Because SSDs are so much faster, I was also thinking about putting in a 2TB SSD with a HDD, using the SSD as the primary drive and the other as a backup. Or really, I might just leave the second drive out since I have the other two NAS to backup to. I am only using 700gb of the 3TB drives I have today. As far as my technical skill set, I am fairly tech savy and know how to look stuff up online, but I do often need to follow others instructions for setting up stuff like this. I recall it being fairly easy a few years ago, but I get back into all the acronyms and it takes me some time to research "how to" guides to make sure I am doing it right. Thank you!
Yes, DS720+ would be a perfect upgrade allowing things like web server, virtual machines and pretty much everything else Synology offers. Non-plus or older models have their limitations.Unfortunately, Synology still refuses to introduce 2.5GbE. But at least dual LAN can be aggregated allowing better speeds. Alternatively, many people have managed to connect Qnap 5GbE USB adapter with a Synology. This can be an option.Adding the first drive as SSD is a clever choice. This will speed up NAS responsiveness. Alternatively, you can use NVMe cache slots at the bottom. Or use both.But I would instal two SSD. This capacity is not expensive. Otherwise, when the first bay will fail, you will need to reconfigure everything. This take times and patience.I hope this helps.