Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New NAS?

So I have a Synology Disk station 410s with I believe 3 x 2TB HDD and 1 x 500GB set up with SHR I think I went with

That was quite a while ago now
I have a web business and a video business. I have 4 k cameras and am finding my storage fast running out even though I don't do very much commercial work currently with video.
I need a solution that gives me ability to edit using resolve directly from the NAS ideally ( I currently use a 2tb G-Drive) (I may in future require multiple editors working at same time but not at the minute)

My synology DS410 is only currently used for archiving projects and footage and also to back up lots of Music and Movies. I would like to make much more use of the NAS features going forward but have always ran into configuration issues with sky broadband router not allowing passthrough etc. Ideally I could be using for VM's, DNS Server, Home security, Music Server, Movie server (plex or similar) To store home movies and backup 2 or 3 devices to the NAS e.g imacs and laptop (incrementally) I use 'mac backup guru' and have a liscense for that and am happy with its functionality

What I am not too sure about is, should i just buy a 6 bay NAS and stick it in to SHR mode and get a pile of 6GB Seagate HDD or should i be thinking about SSD or other features to improve performance PCMI? onboard caching etc (sorry I know a bit about this but probably sound like a right newbie!! lol)

Also can I continue to use my DS410 IYHO of should it be put out to pasture?. My current imac has gigabit ethernet but I expect to update it when new imac comes out later in 2021 which may have faster ethernet built in

I'm not clear on the various dependencies and how they impact the workflow and speeds etc. i.e no point in getting sdd if restricted by ehternet speed for example

Currently all my drives, NAS etc are connected through a TP link hub and then to sky broadband router

Aside: just wondering if my DS410 could be daisy chained some way on to a new synology 6 bay ( I guess it could but could not be part of same RAID configuration ?? The drives are old and probably slower and only 2TB

I'm a bit nervous as i want to make good decisions and not have to think about all this for another 5+ years!! lol

Should I be thinking SSD rather than HDD?. I think I read somewhere that HDD were better for constant R/W to disk as you would have in a NAS doing daily backups etc and video editing. Also SSD may be prohibitively expensive.

I'm guessing that 36 TB would be a reasonable amount of storage though of course i guess depending on RAID configuration I could be using 12TB or more of that, so 6x6tb drives?. I guess I can start with only 3 or 4 and add 2 more down the line without having to redo RAID?

Sorry for so many questions rolled into one. Appreciate any advice you can through my way
Yes, you would need a fairly fast NAS for this. If you prefer Synology then DS1621xs+ would be a good option. Otherwise TVS-872XT or TVS-1282T3. Qnap comes with Thunderbolt ports. This way you can save and not get a 10GbE switch until you have a team of editors. But certainly, you need to consider speeds around 300-400MB/s per 4K editor. You can achieve this with intel core I or Xeon based NAS with at least 8 drives. Qnap internal M.2 NVMe is really fast SSD. Many people use it for actual storage instead of the cache, simply because of the speeds. HDD array than can be used for finished projects. But it still helps even if you do use it as a cache.Filling bays with just a few SSD would also help a lot regards the access speeds and data transfers.It is very wise to keep an old NAS and set up an automated backup. This way if disasters strike like flood/fire/theft, your data is duplicated somewhere (backup NAS do not even need a RAID). Or you can mount your old NAS with your new NAS. Just like you would map it on a computer.When starting out, you start with just 4 drives and add more as you need them. There is a simple drive expansion procedure without any reset.I hope this helps.