Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DAS vs NAS?

Hello! Thank you for your helpful videos. I am relatively new to the world of NAS. My wife and our daughters have been very busy creating video content during the pandemic and I want to ensure they are stored in a safe accessible space. Our current WD My Cloud Home 8TB is filling up rapidly so I am looking at two options. A Synology 420+ with 4x 8TB drives in a RAID 5 or digging out an old Lenovo M93P desktop (SFF) running Windows 10 and adding a QNAP TR-004 to it. All we need the solution to do is host some network shares for storage etc (for Windows and Mac) and our Plex media library. I have 2x 8TB and 1 10TB drive however I do not have the TR-004 or the 420+. Essentially the budget is just for the device itself. Thank you again for all of your help!

Dan
TR series DAS would be a cheaper and faster solution, but sharing and collaborating would be a very difficult task.DS420+ would be very easy to use, but the speed would be limited somewhere around 100MB/s at the best. Dual LAN would allow 2 people to have this sort of speed.Similar spec NAS is TS-451D2, but it can be upgraded with 10GbE card, which would speed up things. Or if you have a Thunderbolt connection then TS-453BT3 or TVS-472XT, but these are quite expensive.I hope this helps.