Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New NAS for Plex server + future proofing?

Greetings!

Looking for a new NAS primarily to replace on of my Plex servers and would love some advice from a real expert.

Owner of a QNAP 453Bmini (J3455 + 4GB ram + 4x 8TB WD Red, raid 6) and an Asustor AS6208T (N3150 + 4GB ram + 7x 4TB WD Red, raid 6 + 1x 450GB SSD).
The Asustor is running a Plex server for movies but are starting to have problems as more and more is h256 which is to much for the N3150. It is also is starting to run out of space as well.
The QNAP is running a Plex server for TV-series and is playing everything Im throwing at it, but is starting to have problems with a fan that is shutting down. Seems I would have to break the plastic cover in order to replace the fan and is not super happy about it.
For some reason I have issues with link aggregation on both of them and cant for my life figure out why. (yes, it is a managed switch that can handle link agg + 2x 10 GigE, but is currently low on empty ports, 2x 1 Gig + 1x10 GigE free).
So I am starting to look for a new server that can handle my movie library and can handle the bandwith which will be increased as my 4k movies library increases.
Total simultaneously streaming demand would be 1x 4k movie on my local network, and 3x 1080p remotely to my family. Currently on a 100/100 internet line.

Am happy with my Asustor (more simplistic settings), but the QNAP is a little messy as I am not an expert of all the advanced settings.
Are now reading up on Synology which looks like an interesting middle ground.
But would love if you can suggest a suitable NAS to become my new movie Plex server that will last for many years to come.

Am looking for something with the following specs:

- CPU - can handle transcoding 1080+4k.
- RAM - minimum 4GB (will upgrade to 8GB).
- M.2 - Prefer 2x slots. If not, then the possibility to upgrade with a PCI slot.
- 10GigE - Need to have a 10GigE as my link agg is messing with me. Or the possibility to upgrade with a PCI slot.
- Run Raid 6
- Bays - As many as possible, or to have the possibility to increase with an extension bay later. Initially would have to be able to directly cover my Asustor (18TB).
- Preferable not too power hungry.

I am trying to future proof as much as my wallet allows and have looked around but not found any that covers all of my requirements.
If it is Qnap, Asustor, Synology is of less importance as long as it is a good machine that will last for many years to come.
My budget would be approx 700 -> 1700 USD. (ex HDD).
Maybe you have heard of any upcoming models in 2021 that would fit?

Would appreciate any suggestions you might have!
Thank you!
If you prefer Asustor then AS7010T with i3 or i5 would be a perfect choice. Alternatively, I would suggest Qnap TVS-672N (672xt if you would use Thunderbolt).When using a NAS for third-party apps like Plex, all that matters really is a price for the hardware. Qnap do innovate more and release new updates frequently, but Asustor is not too far behind. Also avoiding Celeron chips will be beneficial if you consider 10GbE. Weaker CPUs just can not deliver great bandwidth speeds.Intel Core I series still features graphics chip which will handle FHD transcoding and therefore will not slow down overall NAS speed.I hope this helps.