Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cheapest 4k video editing NAS?

Hey NAScompares,

I've found your website really helpful, but my use case seems to fall in a niche gap.

Most of the advice for editing 4k video is aimed at home studios with a few people editing simultaneously, or bigger production studios / enterprise with many users.

I'd like a 4 or 6 bay NAS that I can edit directly from without totally breaking the bank.

The storage will be shared between my desktop and my partner's Macbook pro, but we'll never be working simultaneously on this stuff.

I use DaVinci Resolve, handling Fujifilm X-T3 .MOV files, 200Mbps, 4:2:0, h265 files.

Right now I edit directly from an internal HDD which scores about 180Mbps read and write on a good day, and that performs really nicely for me.

The NAS will hopefully also be able to run a containerised docker instance of a postgreSQL database, which Resolve uses for project databases.

I will connect my PC via a USB 3 dongle for now (either 2.5Gbe or 5Gbe) as it's an ITX board and no room for a 10Gbe adapter. My wife's Macbook has TB3 ports.

I was looking at the QNAP TS-453BT3 which seems like a great solution, has the convenience of that TB3 port and 10Gbe, but that runs for $1800+ AUD here. It would save me some money on dongles and switches. Meanwhile, a unit like the AS4004T is about $550 AUD.

This is just a hobby, so I don't really want to spend $3k on a NAS set up if I can avoid it!'

If there's no cheap way to do that, I'd love a 4 Bay NAS that I could quickly copy the files to my local machine as needed while I make a coffee or something - I suspect this is a much cheaper solution. That said, it'd also be great if that ran the database as described above.

Thanks for any advice.
Yes, TS-453BT3 and TVS-472XT would be great options, but they also cost more. If this is a long-term investment then the price difference is not that big. But you can use AS4004T and edit via 10GbE. This would also work. You just need to get a 10G switch or do a manual IP config to connect directly.You will need something with speeds around 200-300 to be able to have a smooth editing experience.AS4004T CPU is rather weak compared to TS-453Be/ 53D with a 10GbE card. Maybe this is something you can consider.I hope this helps.