Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which NAS TO GET ?

Hey Robbie
I believe I have watched almost every single video you have posted.
Finally, I have bought Asustor nimbustor but will send it back due to unreliable and unfinished HDMI Asustor Portal interface and no possibility for NVME caching. I know I can use the extra two remaining bays ( i have started with 2 X 8TB Ironwolfs, still waiting for delivery), but I also saw your video on SATA SSD and nVME SSD caching and guess SATA would not be much efficient?
Moreover, I really want a powerful enough CPU and caching / RAM so that when I want to look through and scroll over thousands of photos ( could be up to 10 MB each), I don’t need just to see empty thumbnails and wait for pictures to load correctly.
I also want to play 4K on my 4K TV (not necessarily on my mobile devices) but really with 60 Hz.
2.5 Gbe ethernet would make it future proof, I believe. I look at the QNAP TVS series, but when I look at CPU benchmark test sites, I figured out the margin between AMD Embedded R-Series RX-421BD and the new Celerons (for example, Celeron J4105 @1.50GHz built-in Asustor and Synology, etc.) are just too narrow!!! But people call it powerful nas!

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/
3302 vs. 2964 CPU Mark, does it mean that this Asustor Nimbustor is VERY CLOSE TO THAT so-called powerful QNAP TVS NAS?
I am baffled ?‍♂️ plsssss help

Many thanks
Saeed
Yes, people choose Asustor thanks to its cheap hardware and then they install third-party apps on it.If you need something more reliable then Qnap and Synology will be a better choice indeed.AMD Embedded R-Series is a powerful NAS, but I would not call it a better multimedia NAS. Celeron with a built-in graphics chip can handle media as well as file server better when multitasking.I hope this helps.