Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS Repplacement?

Hi, Happy New Year, assuming that it has started!
The simple question is right at the end of this message, but I've put in some problem details in case you need them.
I currently have a NETGEAR RN204 with all 4 bay populated. It runs XRAID and offers 5.44TB of which 1.43TB is used.
The storage contains a shared iTunes music library, PC backups and stores video for a CCTV application which runs on an 'always on' PC.
My wired network probably runs at 1Gb. All the devices on it have Gigabit interfaces and the cable runs have been installed carefully.
The RN204 seems to be getting a bit creaky. It has taken to regularly failing to download the anti-virus updates and reporting the addition of an external USB drive (there is one that is used for backups).
I think that, over time, I have relied on it more and more, and now it simply can't keep up! After all, it isn't equipped with sparkling processor. To cap it all it is so end-of-life that the NETGEAR site no longer servers up its documentation.
So, the time has come for a replacement. Fortunately I came across your excellent website. I have tried to spot your personal preference. I reckon that it is Synology over QNAP, by a tiny margin.
I have found https://nascompares.com/2020/07/12/synology-ds920-vs-ds420-vs-ds720-vs-ds220-nas-comparison/ very useful. It describes the marketing game that Synology are playing with this interesting range while highlighting the subtle differences between nominally equivalent systems. I could very well go for one of those, after I've investigated further with my aims in mind.
But what of QNAP?
The simple question is, if I am looking at the Synology DS[2479]20+ enclosures, which QNAP boxes should I study?
Thank you for any assistence.
Cheers and take care, 'Nic
Yes, you should certainly consider pulse series models. Even if it is a 4 bay with 2-3 drives inside allowing you to expand easily later.Things I would look out for is multiple LAN or faster LAN (or an option to upgrade). Comparable Qnaps would BE 251D /451d and 253D/453D with 2.5GbE and PCIe slot. There have been experiments showing that you can use Qnap USB 5GbE adapter on Synology, this is what keeps Synology still in the game. They have excellent software, but on the hardware side, they only innovate on caching.It would speed up a system if surveillance is connected via separate LAN and mauve even separate single HDD inside.I hope this helps.