Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Quiet NAS for Audio and Photos?

I need a NAS for the following purposes:
1. To store FLAC audio files from ripped CD collection to play to Ruark R4 via DLNA.
2. To Store photo collection and site new photos from phones and Cameras
3. To provide a home cloud local shared file store so can access shared files on various home devices
4. If possible to connect to Smart TV USB and appear to be a simple USB storage device for Recording off air by the TV (LG LK6100). The manual recommends a USB Flash Drive of 32GB, or USB HDD of 2TB or less. It can read/write NTFS).

I also would like the device to be as silent as possible because the NAS would need to be near my Router and TV, both of which are near my Ruark Audio player.

I don't need to be able to transcode video for playing on mobile devices.

I realize that SSDs will be much more expensive, so wondering how quiet a 2 drive 2TB HDD Raid 1 set-up would be, or whether possibly a single bay NAS that is externally backed up to a noble device of the cloud might be a quieter and more economic option.

Was an IT professional years ago, but have never owned a NAS box.
I would recommend Synology Slim models or Play models. These will cope with automated multimedia backup and sync. It will also replace Dropbox with even better software.The only issue is USB connection. You can not connect any NAS directly to a TV via USB. You will need an external drive for this.To keep things quiet WD Red is an option. But you could also consider 2.2inch laptop drives for a NAS, this would be somewhere closer to SSD noise levels.I hope this helps.