Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

4K and surveillance NAS?

Hi!

First of all I LOVE your videos! Recently I found them and francly I spent half of my vacation watching them!

Why I'm doing that? I want to bay a NAS for my home (flat) where I'll do some home automation, setup a Home Assistant and stuff like that (I know VM can run Home Assistant but I'm planing to buy a separate hardware for that - an ODROID).

About the NAS - I don't need big storage but need something that will co-work with maximum of 2 security cameras (2K or 4K) and will play 4K movies.

As I mentioned in the subject - I'm leaning towards the DS720+/DS920+. I'll be able later ont to add 8-16Gigs of additinal RAM and SSD for cashing to improve performance.

I completely trust your advice and would invest in the hardware you would recommend.

Thanks you!
Yes, DS720+/DS920+ would be a perfect choice if you like the simplicity Synology can offer. Alternatively, TS-253D / 453D would be a similar spec model with things like faster Ethernet and PCIe slot.Either way, a quad-core CPU is perfect for virtual machines, docker, and automation in general. Qnap actually specializes more in automation.I hope this helps.