Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Accessories?

Hi, I'm very tech-impaired but I've managed to get by with a synology DS216+II for the last several years but am looking for an upgrade. My current NAS is way too slow at loading and retrieving pictures. Your website is impressive and full of great info (though it's hard for me to understand everything...what I really need is a website for total beginners if you know of one). Anyhow, I'm thinking of going big and and getting the Synology DS1621+. It's probably overkill for my needs but I think I will grow into it. My question is, if cost were no limit to you, how would you "accessorize" it? Specifically what hard drives would you recommend for it? Also is it worth the money to upgrade to the 10GBe cable? I don't really know if that's something I would benefit from but it's just my wife and I using the system at this point for storage of photos and home videos so I was thinking I don't need that but am open to suggestions. So if you were going to build an awesome NAS system using a synology device and my money what you do? (and do you have any resources of where I can go to learn how to build it and use it's full potential). Thanks for you time and for the great website and service you provide.
Doug
Yes, you definitely should consider NAS models with the option to upgrade, expand, and surely have a cache.DS1520+ would be a cheaper option, but 1621+ comes with Ryzen CPU which will perform much better. 10GbE is something you will unlikely need unless you upgrade the network. This would speed up backup or simply data transfer tasks.But with websites, you need cache and responsive drives like WD Red pro and Ironwolf Pro or Exos.I hope this helps.