Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Upgrading from Synology DS211j?

Hi
I have a DS211j with mirrored 2Tb drives, 1.6Tb used, mainly by photos. NAS now running much slower than previously so thinking about upgrading. Mainly it is my photo archive, which was sync'd to Amazon until Amazon closed that interface. Only got 256Gb on my laptop so have to edit there and then move files to the NAS for long term. Don't know if SSD cache, Link aggregation, more RAM, or 4 disc RAID would provide enough performance to be able to edit photos stored on the NAS. typically I'm the only NAS user. Like the Synology DSM, so happy to stick with that, so, DS220+, DS420+ or something else?... and if its DS420 would I be better physically moving the existing discs over and add additional or move the data to new larger drives?

Many Thanks in Advance
You should be able to edit photos over a 1Gbit network, it fast enough. The J series is indeed very slow. Upgrading to plus series would speed things up. With a 4-bay you can simply move drives over and add an extra drive or two when you need them. With Synology you can also mix different size drives, it would work too.DS420+ 920+ would be something I would consider.I hope this helps.