Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS to use with Sonos system?

Hi. I have a Sonos system already, but have never ripped all my CDs and want to so I can listen to my "CDs" via my Sonos. I have figured out I need a NAS, and that if I'm spending that much money, will want one that holds two drives and replicates in case one fails. I read the NAScompares "best-2-bay-nas-drive-of-the-year" article and didn't understand most of the pros/cons. I also realize that you have to buy the NAS plus the two drives. If I bought a QNAP TS-253D for $368 and two Western Digital Red 2 TB drives for $130, that's $500. WD also has a My Cloud Home system, for $150 for 2 TB and it says it works with Sonos though it's not technically a NAS and doesn't look like it has the RAID feature (but the option to buy a monthly subscription for backup?). I have the $500, but am wondering if there's really no way to get the RAID feature unless I buy a bona fide NAS. [I said 500 GB because that should cover my music; I figure if I'm going this route, I may as well go for 2 TB because the storage seems to be the cheap part of this.]
Yes, a two-bay system will mirror the first drive. So if it fails you have a copy on another disk.TS-253D is a future proof choice (also TS-251D which is cheaper). With a NAS you have your own local/remote cloud which you can access from SONOS speakers or cast the music from your phone application. There are no monthly fees, you own this.If you want to back up your NAS to a cloud as well, you get those options too.I hope this helps.