Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology NAS Suggestions?

Hello. Earlier this year I filled out this form and was suggested a Synology DS218j for a personal NAS solution. I held off making a purchase back then, and have since been taking my time to consider what my needs are for a NAS are.

The Synology DS218j seems like a fine model which was recommended based on my asks for 1-2TB storage for backups. Now I find myself looking for a host of expanded functionality, and with all of the models available I've found myself struggling to figure out what the best option is. I'll break down what I'm looking to achieve with a NAS based on setups I've seen others run.

Firstly, a storage and backup solution for my data.
— A macOS TimeMachine backup of my system (200gb) for which I'm aware Synology NAS systems have native apps and tools to run and automate this
— Photos library to dump personal photos with at least some barebones management, which I hear Synology's apps are nailing at the mo
— Storage space to offload inactive project files which will be accessed a few times a month (currently only taking up 1-2TB, though from what I've seen I suspect it's smarter to purchase and shuck larger size drives purely for price/value, as well as future-proofing).
— Archive of documents, admin files, and general cold-storage that will be accessed rarely.

I've also no idea what HDDs I should be looking out for to buy for the NAS - after reading a few SMR vs CMR discussions, I've found myself more confused than when I started.

Secondly, a machine to download content and media to, and then access from my other devices (mainly a macbook)
— Downloading large files, sometimes simultaneously (which brings up the question for CMR vs SMR)
— Streaming the media content to macOS (I prefer the media player available instead of something like Plex) or something like an Apple TV or android box.

And lastly, I'd like to set up the Synology NAS with a Docker environment to run a variety of containers that will assist in downloading aforementioned files (through different RSS feeds and such), running an online backup to something like Backblaze, managing the content on the drives, and possibly other tools I've not yet realised I'd need.

Thank you again for continuing to provide such a generous service.
Best
You will need to look at plus series models like older DS218+ or DS220+. These will allow you to install Dockerhttps://www.synology.com/en-uk/dsm/packages/DockerSynology is indeed a very good choice for simplified backup tasks. They managed to create a simple PC backup app and soon they will finish the same thing for MACs, but in meantime, you can install Timemachine and use that as an automated backup solution.Mobile apps also will simplify backing up mobile devices. Also, media streaming apps such as DS Video will even cope with 4K media files.USB3 ports can be used for external backups and archives with an option to automate things when connected.I hope this helps.