Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which one to get? I might have made a mistake! ?

Hi, I've been watching your YouTube videos. I am an older geek. I used to work as a Network Engineer years ago. Remember Novell? I'm certified for that. I worked at McGraw-Hill recently renamed to S&P Global! Yes that S&P!
Anyway, I have an older Buffalo LS441D. Its been running for years. But I wanted to get a new more advanced NAS something that can do Virtualization. To run maybe Windows in VmBox. I purchased the Synology DS1520+ without much investigation. After watching your vidoes I think I should have gotten a Asustor or QNAP? Seems the QNAP is better to play with. But I want something with a powerful CPU & 8GB RAM. (I already have two M.2 cards). Probably 4 bay system. But what model? Can you suggest please?
Thank you!
Rob
DS1520+ is not a bad choice. It comes with a quad-core CPU and is capable of running a couple of virtual machines.Maybe not as fast as ryzen Xeon based models (DS1621+ / DS1621xs+), but still affordable.Qnap does offer more configuration options and it allows to use of cache cards for actual storage space.Qnap TS-x73 series or 72N series would be a good alternative.I hope this helps.