Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I bought a DS420+?

Hello !thank you very much to propose to write to you it's very kind ! sorry for my english I don't speak very often ! I have 7 hdd basic WD ! I calculated 11tb of data since 2000 ! I use them with a disk station and change them on my xbox as a multimedia platform with kodi ! that's work very well ! obviously each HDD are unic... no clone of back up !... I know ! well last year one of them fall on the floor and... died ! 20 years of music !!! maybe I could repair it ! well since this summer I'm thinking about a nas ! I thought buy a single slot at the beginning ! and put my disk station in his back ! and finally a big promo and I bought the DS420+ ! and put all inside in raid 5 to be quiet ! so for 11tb of data I thought buy 4 x 12tb or 4 x 10tb wd red (wd120efax, wd101efax) ! I thought like that because I know one of them represente the capacity of the back up ! and after format it's not the same thing anymore ! I thought buy normal hdd externe because cheaper and take off the HDD from the case because I use them only when I need ! I think I can if the nas is power on only when I want to use it ! the side nas always power on is fantastic in the idea but I'm so afraid of the noise ! I did'nt find a video with the test of a nas in a living room ! alone the hdd are very quiet and there is no fan ! I read WD red are less decibels than normal one ! I'm lost I don't know how to think, I'm afraid to do a mistake and to see too big ! my living room is with my kitchen in an open space 4 meters by 5 meters ! I try to find these HDD with a good price ! It's complicate !I find 12TB for 300 dollars on www.bhphotovideo.com ! but it's over ! there aren't really a question ! What do you think of this ?! do you have an idea I haven't ?! what do you do to buy hdd ?! in the nas can I only decide 1 hdd is running to read or all are in activity when the nas is power on ?! can we desactivate the fan when I use it occasionnaly ! thank you very much to you to read my message ! have a nice day ! Nico from paris ! Smile
Yes, DS420+ was a good choice. It is a future proof NAS option.WD Red drives will indeed be quite. But normally you would connect a NAS to your broadband router. It doesn't need to be located in a living room. You will access it via Ethernet and Wifi. You can also use laptop 2.5inch drives or SSD, those are even quite.You can disable Fan in the settings, but usually, you can not hear it. You can also schedule when NAS turn on and off automatically.You can create several RAIDs or single disks inside, The only required disk will spin up when accessed.I hope this helps.