Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stuck in the middle?

Hi mate, thanks so much for your videos. Your page is my main resource for helping me make a decision coming up.
I don't think my situation will be unique, but I can't find anything that is similar to my situation with a diffinitive NAS answer on the internet.

The reason I love my media set up is because I have all my favourite films on hand in the highest possible format at the time. eg. just got LOTR trilogy in 4K and replaced the blueray version- same with Back to the future, Godfather etc. This way I can watch the BEST when I want, not when NETFLIX has them on (plus they are worse quality anyway).

I run my plex server on my gaming PC on an 8TB drive in the study. It's been great for 5 years but I'm worried about:
-disk failure (I think I want to run RAID5 but I keep reading about UNRAID)
-having the pc on all the time to watch media on devices
-Direct play of 4K films (20-80 GB in size) to the main lounge room LG 65 inch C8 TV playing via an Nvidia shield Pro.
-Future proofing including expanding storage and using the NAS for more functionality in the future (security cams etc)
-At the moment I would have a 4K movie running with maybe one other 1080p going elsewhere, but I can see my other family members using this if I set it up properly and it doesn't kill my 100Mb/s internet experience.

I THINK i want to have the NAS in the lounge room cabinet (under my cinema TV) so it can direct play 4k. That however makes my Nvidia Shield Pro redundant but that's ok as it's served me well for 2 years until I got to this point. My router and EERO hub sits in the lounge room too so it can all connect nicely. It would need to be quiet though.

Now, If I could easily afford your #1 choice QNAP I would go there, but I think it's massive overkill for what I need. However I think the Synology 920+ is not high enough in spec for my needs.

What do you think? I was looking at the Syn 1019+ but I'm concerned about it not having 10Gb/s ethernet and no direct play HDMI.

Therefore I have 2 choices:
1. Cheaper NAS that using Nvidia Shield PRo to transcode in lounge
2. Go hard for direct play HDMI in the lounge room

I would REALLY appreciate your help. I have no problems dropping serious coin for functionality, future proofing and ease, but I also don't want to waste money on something I'm not fully using.

Thanks so much.
Looks, like you have a compatible TV and you know what you are doing. So transcoding function is likely not needed. Otherwise, you would need to get a NAS with the same hardware specs as your current Plex computer.Qnap HDMI direct streaming does allow streaming without a network connection. But after using shield TV, you may not like the basic user interface for HDMI access.But, I think you should get a NAS without connecting it via HDMI. You can keep int in the coms cabinet and link it to your SHield TV via LAN.If you go for 1019+ / 920+ using the DS Video app you can still transcode to other devices not supporting 4K. People have tested and the USB 5GbE adapter seems to work on Synology, so soon 10GbE might be available.I hope this helps.