Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Best 10Gbe Rack mounted NAS for photo/video?

I have a Ubiquiti network around the home with both Cat6a and Fiber connections in every room and in the server area where the rack is for the Ubiquiti equipment including the XG-16 Fiber router from Ubiquiti.

I see your review of the QNAP TVS-872XT and it looks great but I’d like something like that in a rack mount as I have the rack space for it and it would be a cleaner install. If push comes to shove I could just put this QNAP in the rack area on the floor but that seems to defeat the purpose of having a nice rack system.

I do not need Thunderbolt connections just 10GBE as both our offices are in separate rooms about 30-40 ft away from the rack server and I already have a 4-bay OWC ThunderBay on my desk.

Primary functionality will be to provide robust storage for our photos (about 2TB) and video (about 4 TB) as we want access to this data over our 10GBE LAN for editing, sharing, etc.

We also have an older Mac Tower with a 12TB drive attached (about 4 TB of movies on it) that is being used as our iTunes server for our Apple TV and it looks like this QNAP could also provide this functionality?

I would also like this to be used as a network backup destination for all our Macs so about 2-3 TB for this purpose too.

I also have about 4TB of data retention backup files on a local drive that could be placed on NAS as well for additional security.

Total drive capacity would need to be about 16TB now growing to perhaps 24-32TB over the coming years. Being able to easily add capacity as we grow is important rather than to have to rebuild everything.

I really don’t need any NAS software to run as iTunes server works fine for us and I already convert all our movies to MP4 (so no decoding on the fly with Plex, etc.)

Backups can run on each of the Macs to the server using Carbon Copy Cloner (no Time Machine...) to store data on the NAS.

I can also run backups from the NAS to a drive on my desk for offsite storage as well unless connecting a backup drive to the NAS would be smarter/faster/easier?

As the rack server is in a hallway closet and is almost silent, I don’t want a loud, roaring machine in there if I can help it. So, a quieter machine would be great.

Finally, perhaps not your field of expertise, I need a UPS to keep everything happy if/when the electricity drops.

The budget is not really there, just want the right equipment.

Really appreciate your thoughts on this. I’ve been reading your website for a while now and respect your expertise.

best, Art
Qnap TVS-872XU is their rackmount version. You can run Plex and iTunes on this. This will give you robust storage with easy expansion and remote backup. You will also have version control and snapshot technology to keep data safe.Getting a quiet rack will be fairly difficult, especially with a good CPU which usually needs more cooling.Either way, you can start with just a few drives and add more later. This is a very good solution.I hope this helps.