Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS/DAS for Lightroom storage ?

I have a ds920+ for my home office use, but my wife is getting into photography mainly are children in sports and with raw photo's it is taking up a lot of space on the imac. so I would like to set up something simple for her. her basic work flow is to transfer the photo's to the imac and use lightroom to do some simple editing like adjust tone and crop the photos. I was thinking the best way to mange the photo's is to have her download them directly to the NAS and then just edit directly on the nas and then we have some file protection and lots of storage. we could also backup this nas up to a usb drive correct. I have watched many of your video's but my wife's editing is really simple and she used a 2014 imac so I think it has thunderbolt connection just maybe thunderbolt 1. so i was looking at the ds1621+ and adding a 10 gbe pci card then an adapter to thunderbolt so the imac would be direct connected to nas and I could also connect it to network correct? or option two would be just get the qnap tvs 672xt or tvs 472xt and that already has a thunderbolt connection.
thank you for your time
Yes, the Qnap Thunderbolt model would be the easiest since you can connect directly. DS1621+ would need an additional card for 10GbE. You can then connect directly or via a switch and use other LAN to connect to the rest of the network and the internet.Either of these options is good. Having a 10Gbit connection will not only allow editing large photo files but also 4K videos.You will also get a photo organizing app with AI built-in and more.I hope this helps.