Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New Nas?

Hi

First of all I must say that you have made many fantastic reviews!

I have a question and I expect you as an expert to be able to answer it

For many years we own a 2 bay Qnap Ts212 Nas and i like to replace this Nas for a new one since this one is quite old and I have 1 disk with a sector error.
I have good experience with Qnap i like to stay with this brand.

Use: Home, 4 users, each with their own rights for the different folders.

My idea is to be ready for the future and buy a 253D-4G but...
Looking on the Qnap website they indicate for the 521+ and 251D that this is a high end prodcuct.
For the newer 253D they indicate it as a mid-range product?

To me this is quite confusing, i don't need all the options and my preference would be to buy a Nas with the best hardware that can run for years without any problem. do you know why the 253D is marked as a midrange product?

For the HD I'm thinking to buy 2x Iron Wolf 6Tb, running in raid 1
(currently I have 2x 2 Tb Baracuda in raid 1. Next to that a USB backup drive where 1x a week the selected forders are copied to.

Can you say something about the TS251D vs TS253D with your experience and what the pluses and minuses could be.

Thanks in advance .

Kind regards,
Rene Meulenkamp
Qnap 53D series is their latest and most powerful NAS model in a Celeron model range. TS-251d is a budget version of 53d since it has just half of the power with its 2-core processor. You will notice a difference between these two series. The 53D will allow more things to run in the background and you will have better upgrade options and faster speeds overall.I hope this helps.