Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What NAS to buy?

Looking for a NAS mostly for fast backups of home 2 computers (1 TB each ) on network and then daily backups of any changes. Remote access would only be used rarely, could live without it. Have cat 7 and gigabit Asus RT-AC88U router (8 ports) and TP-Link gigabit switches. Media server would be used rarely as we have fire cube and pandora. Thinking of 2 bay, 6TB each? snapshots sound reasonable to have in case computer gets corrupted somehow or gets a virus. What would you suggest?
Main thing is looking for fast backups and ease of use. No gaming. Thought it would be worthwhile to spend a little bit more for the diskless NAS as I can buy WD red 6TB drives for $125 on Amazon. This would allow me to be future-proof if I want to use media server, remote access, etc later. Looking to buy something on Cyber Monday.
Thanks
WD probably will be the cheapest solution. But if you need the fastest option then TS-253D comes with faster 2.5GbE LAN ports and have an option to upgrade to a 5GbE USB adapter or 10GbE PCIe card. Or DS220+ which comes with 1GbE LAN, but people have managed to connect 5GbE USB adapter.With a Celeron based NAS, you get a snapshot option to keep your data safe against ransomware attacks.I hope this helps.