Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nas and Plex DTS?

I am currently using a shieldTV as a plex server/client and it works pretty well for the most part but sometimes get's bogged down in transcoding. The shield is connected to and AVR receiver via HDMI and passes through DTSMA direct to the AVR for decoding.

I was looking at moving the plex server duties t0 a NAS and also consolidate all my media sources in that NAS. The shieldTV would then just be the plex client. I now see that I might have a problem with DTS being passed through via the shield to the AVR. Also a lot of my video titles only have a DTSMA track. It doesn't matter with my other network devices as it makes no difference to me if they are getting the original audio or a lesser transcoded version.

Is there a dedicated NAS that has the ability to passthrough DTS through the Plex server so that I get the DTS stream on my AVR? If not I'll stick to the shieldTV for plex server duties.

Thanks.
If a ShieldTV can not handle it then NAS will do it less likely. You could go for an HDMI based NAS which can be connected to tour TV directly. You can then control the Plex with a remote. But setting this up might is not as easy is ShieldTV. Qnap also comes with audio our ports at the back that you can connect to the amplifier (or use HDMI to an amp and then TV).But yes, shield tv is much more fun.I hope this helps