Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

48 TB DAS + backup?

Relevant PC details:
X570 Auros Extreme mobo (10Gbe, USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C)
Case is Fractal Design Define 7 (loads of HDD slots)
I just bought 4 ea. 12 TB Iron Wolf NAS HDDs.

I'd like some advice on how to deal with approx. 32 TB of data on a bunch of dusty, randomly sized HDDs my elderly mother has in a cardboard box. Enormous scanned images and video (she's been a Photoshop enthusiast for decades). After spending a ridiculous amount of time reading about NAS and DAS, it seems to me that I could use the motherboard to manage a 48 TB RAID 0 array in that PC, with 4 or 5 bay Thunderbolt DAS (in RAID 0) as backup. I'm leaning towards RAID 0 and Thunderbolt 3/USB 3.2 gen 2 because I don't want to waste her time. She's 80, has limited patience, and I live about 10 hours away. She can handle minor PC issues, but she's been "out of the game" for a decade due to illness.

1. I'm having a hard time finding a 4-5 bay DAS with TB3/USB 3.2 Gen 2 connectivity. Setting up some kind of 10Gbe LAN sounds like an expensive, complicated mess involving add-in cards, pricey switches, & etc. What should I buy?

2. She's worried about malware, and specifically a ransomware attack. The plan is to leave the DAS disconnected from the PC and turned off most of the time. She'll do a comprehensive virus scan once per week or so, then transfer completed work to the DAS.

Does this sound like a good plan? Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated.
There are quite a few options from Promise Pegasus and Areca boxes. They feature Thunderbolt and USB3.2 gen2 connectivity.Yes, DA will always be much faster than NAS. Most of the time thanks to the hardware RAID chip. CPU does not need to calculate parity data.For someone who is not into IT and gadgets, it will be much easier to use directly connected devices. You plug and play. With NAS you need to mount the drive and make IP static so it never needs finding. And 10Gb would cost so much more.I hope this helps.