Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Right NAS for my development?

Hi Robbie,

I have watched the majority of your NAS videos and first of all I want to thank you for that. I know how it is, due i have a travel blog so it has a really hard work on the background.

Ok, let’s do this. Maybe I’m like the majority of your writes that ask you for advises in order to select the right NAS for them, yes it's my case.

First of all, I will tell you my necessities and my expectations after that I’m going to tell you the NASes I have seen which I liked the most, or think are for me.

• Having a travel blog, means i have thousands of photos/videos which are consuming my space with a very good quality resolution and always working with very heavy archives.

• I want to learn/practice more with VMs environments and discover new IT app which I can develop myself

• I have my website in another place, and I really want to manage my WordPress. One day I want to migrate to my own cloud space without paying to someone else (in the future)

• I’m thinking to rent a very secure space (storage) in the cloud to friends or coworkers. (in the future). That’s why not choosing a 2 bay NAS.

• I’m always traveling because of my travelblog, so this, I need an always access to my information with a good/fast environment.

• Due I’m a mac user, usually work with Time Machine backups (if it’s possible to add a snapshots app would be nice too)

• Want to have transcoding 1080p its ok, don’t really need 4K

• Want to perform a Raid5 environment.

I was thinking in these options, please tell me which one you think is the more suitable for me (I’m thinking in a 3/4 bays NAS):

QNAP TS-351 (upgraded with 8G RAM)

My problem with this TS-351 is that I really don’t know how fast this can go with read/written information only with HDD knowing that 2 bays are 3Gb and 1 is 6Gb SATA without adding SSD cache/M2 slots. 500Mb? 100Mb?
*Another doubt I have with this, is it possible to add 2 slots with DDR3? i think this one works with DDR3L(I have an 2 slots of RAM DDR3 1600 that I’ve changed on my macbook pro 13’’ mid 2012).

QNAP TS-332X (upgraded with 8G RAM)
I have same doubts as with 351. However, I know this one does not have transcoding, so…  and CPU is worst.

TerraMaster F4-221 (upgraded with 8G RAM)
To tell you the truth, I really like this one because I think it has everything I want. Nevertheless, I really don’t trust in its system TOS. Besides, I don’t know how fast with read/written it can go. Adding that maybe does not works well with VMs. I really would like to think this is a great company and the best NAS, but I have my own doubts What do you think?

Synology DS418 (Only 2GB RAM  )
This one I think it’s a really good option, however with all the things I want, don’t know if that CPU/RAM will work as good as I expected.

So, what do you think about all these NASes I have thought for me? Which one is more suitable for my needs?

Thank you very much for taking the time to reading my email and answering my questions.

Cheers
Carlos Medina.
PD: My travelblog is https://losviajesdelchino.com if you want to check it out.
Qnap TS-351 would be a good option, but I am not sure it is still available since it is old.The best choice would be TS-451D/ TS-453Be. These NAS can do all that you need. But more importantly, they can be upgraded to 10GbE and SSD caching and more RAM. They are better for VMs and webserver (if you need one in future). It also allows more people to connect. You need a Celeron based NAS at a minimum.I hope this helps.