Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which Nas to buy?

Hi again I have to make a decision and buy a new nas. Awhile back recommended a Synology which I am keen to go for as I like the idea of extensive range of software and support. My Q is should I go for the DS923+ which I know is more than enough for my needs right now, but as you say think ahead re future proofing. So would this be a good choice given my main use is, streaming music to my hifi at a high bit rate, Photos and general phone and doc backups. I am currently using a WD 6TB My Cloud EX2 Ultra 2-bay NAS which is now full up and showing signs of falling over. So what would you recommend as I am on a tight budget, O and can I use my existing discs WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 and will I have to go through a complicated process to transfer them and data to the Synology. if not what drives can I get that won't break the bank. TIA
Thanks for reaching out again! Based on your requirements and the fact that you’re looking for a future-proof solution, the Synology DS923+ is an excellent choice. It offers great performance for streaming music, backing up photos, documents, and phone data. It will give you the software flexibility Synology is known for, especially when compared to your current WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra.

Regarding your existing WD30EFRX drives, they are compatible with the DS923+ as long as they are still in good working order. You will need to back up your data before moving it to the new NAS, as Synology typically requires reformatting drives during the initial setup. Transferring the data isn’t complicated, but having a backup beforehand is essential to avoid any risk of data loss.

As for new drives, if you're looking for something budget-friendly but reliable, you can go for WD Red Plus or Seagate IronWolf drives, both of which are designed for NAS environments and won’t break the bank. You could start with 2 x 4TB, which would give you 8TB total with redundancy in RAID 1 for future-proofing.
The DS923+ is a solid choice! Check if your WD drives are compatible and back everything up first. For new drives, consider Seagate IronWolf or WD Reds.