Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Budget option for NAS Vdeocediting

I'm completely new to NAS systems as of last week and I know I need to move from external ssd's and HDD's. l'm a photographer/videographer and I edit in davinci resolve (typically h.264 and h.265 files) and Lightroom (raw photos) off an m1 MacBook Pro and I currently don't have anyone in need of accessing files as of now so it's just me editing my work but that could change in the future. My WiFi router speed is 50Mpbs
My goal is to not get more than what I need now but could upgrade the NAS in the future if needed.
(Currently thinking of a RAID 5 setup with three hard drives with around 16tb -24tb to last me a while)
Could you suggest a NAS system that might be helpful and any explanation would be helpful as well.
I do genuinely want to understand more about NAS systems
For your video and photo editing needs, especially with large H.264 and H.265 files and RAW photos, a NAS can be a great investment. Given your current workflow and the potential to expand in the future, here are some solid options within your $1,000 budget:

QNAP TS-464 – This is a powerful 4-bay NAS with good future scalability. It’s perfect for RAID 5 with 3 hard drives, and it offers enough power to handle video editing and file storage. You can easily expand later if needed.

Synology DS423+ – A great 4-bay NAS for creatives, offering simple and reliable performance. It's perfect for a RAID 5 setup and will allow smooth access to your video and photo files.

For now, you can start with three drives (16TB-24TB) in RAID 5, which will give you a balance of storage, speed, and redundancy. Both QNAP and Synology support future expansion and upgrading if you need more storage or power later.