Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Additional storage

I have a gaming laptop with a limited storage space. And games keep on getting bigger. 100GB+
After watching dozens of videos about NAS and DAS I kind of see the TerraMaster D5 Hybrid and D8 Hybrid as most likely candidates. (any other good competitors for these DAS?)
My idea is to use the Raid 1 on 2 (either 4 TB, or preferably 8 TB) SSD's and keep all my photos, videos and other important stuff.
All 4 NVMe SSD's (either 2 or 4 TB depending on price) would be for gaming.

And if it's D8 Hybrid, the last 3 slots would be most likely software Raid 0 for 3 4TB SATA SSD's. for whatever else I might need it for. (E.g. games, programs, movies etc.)

Or is there a better way to expand the storage for gaming?
Thanks for reaching out! For expanding storage for your gaming laptop, both the TerraMaster D5 Hybrid and D8 Hybrid are excellent choices for Direct-Attached Storage (DAS). Here’s a brief overview of your plan and some additional recommendations:

TerraMaster D5 Hybrid and D8 Hybrid:
Both are strong candidates. The D5 Hybrid offers 5 bays, which can be great for a mix of SSDs and HDDs, while the D8 Hybrid with its 8 bays provides more flexibility, especially if you plan on using various RAID configurations.

Alternative DAS Options:
Consider looking into products from brands like QNAP and Asustor. They offer robust DAS solutions with various features that might fit your needs.

Storage Configuration:

RAID 1 for Photos and Important Data: Using 2 SSDs in RAID 1 for redundancy is a solid choice. Opting for 8 TB SSDs would give you ample space and future-proofing.
NVMe SSDs for Gaming: Using 2 or 4 TB NVMe SSDs for gaming is a great way to ensure fast load times and performance. The D8 Hybrid supports NVMe SSDs, so this setup would work well.
RAID 0 for Additional Storage: In the D8 Hybrid, using the last 3 slots for RAID 0 with 4 TB SATA SSDs is a good strategy for high-speed access to large files, like games and media.
Budget Considerations: With a budget of 1-2k euros, you should be able to comfortably set up a robust DAS system with the configurations you’re considering.