Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First NAS

Hi everyone at NASCompares.
I'm really interested in acquiring a NAS for my home. Mainly as a Plex server for watching movies in 4k at the best resolution and quality and storing photos or documents. Any clue what could work?
Thank you for all your work and knowledge.
Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out! For your budget of around $700 and your use case (Plex server for 4K movies and storing photos/documents), I'd recommend looking at the following NAS options:

Synology DS920+ or DS423+:
These are both great choices in terms of performance and flexibility. They support Plex 4K streaming, have enough power for transcoding, and offer RAID configurations for data redundancy. The DS423+ is newer, so it might be easier to find, but the DS920+ is still an excellent option.

QNAP TS-464:
Another strong contender with 4 bays, offering solid performance for Plex 4K and file storage. QNAP tends to have slightly more customizable hardware, which could be useful if you plan on expanding down the line.

For drives, you could start with two WD Red Plus 4TB drives in RAID 1 for redundancy. That would give you reliable storage with room to expand if needed.