Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nas selection

I'm looking to buy a NAS. I have a 7 gig fiber line with 10 gig wired switches setup at my house, with 3 - quad band wifi7 routers. I'm looking to setup the NAS at my house primarily for a Plex server, and a desktop/laptop backup. I've narrowed the selection down between two. Either the Qnap TVS-H874T(with the i9 and 64 gigs of RAM) or the qnap TVS-H1688X. Which one of these would you purchase, or, is there another one that you would recommend? Thank you!
Wow, with a 7 gig fiber line and a 10 gig wired network, you’ve got an impressive setup! Both NAS options you’re considering are powerful and capable, so let’s break them down:

1. QNAP TVS-H874T (i9 with 64GB RAM)
Pros: With the i9 processor and 64GB of RAM, this model offers top-tier performance. It’s excellent for running a high-demand Plex server, handling multiple 4K streams, and managing desktop/laptop backups effortlessly. The i9 CPU is well-suited for transcoding tasks, making it ideal for a Plex server setup.
Capacity: While it has fewer bays compared to the H1688X, it still offers plenty of room for a substantial amount of storage, especially with high-capacity drives.
2. QNAP TVS-H1688X
Pros: This NAS has more drive bays, which is great for achieving the large 350TB storage capacity you’re aiming for. It also has strong performance with an Intel Xeon processor, making it suitable for heavy multitasking and large-scale storage needs.
Capacity: The additional bays make it easier to reach high storage volumes, which is beneficial if you plan on continuously expanding your media library.
Recommendation:
If your primary focus is high-performance media streaming with Plex, along with powerful backup capabilities, the QNAP TVS-H874T with the i9 and 64GB RAM would be the better choice. It offers the best performance for demanding applications.
If maximizing storage capacity is a priority, and you still need strong performance for multiple tasks, the QNAP TVS-H1688X provides more bays, making it easier to scale up your storage.
Both are excellent choices, so it really depends on whether you prioritize ultimate performance or maximum storage capacity. Either way, you’ll have a powerful NAS setup!
https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/