Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Reset System Storage Pool Without Deleting Other Storage Pools

Hi. I’m using a TVS-472XT w/ a TL-D800S expansion using the most recent version of QuTS Hero. I currently have 3 storage pools: Storage Pool 1 (System Pool): 4 4tb M.2 SSD’s (with an expansion card), Storage Pool 2: 4 8tb Sata SSD’s, and Storage Pool 3: 8 12tb HDD’s. I want to change the System Pool to 2 much smaller M.2 SSD’s and move the 4 4tb M.2 SSD’s to Storage Pool 2 (with an expansion card). Is it possible to do that without losing the data I have on saved Storage Pools 2 and 3 (Storage Pool 3 is a RAID 6 backup of Storage Pool 2)?

BTW, I love your website and YouTube channel. Thank you for all of the great information.
Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out, and I’m glad you enjoy our website and YouTube channel!

To achieve your goal of changing the System Storage Pool and reallocating your M.2 SSDs, you will need to follow these steps:

Move Data from the System Pool: First, you'll need to move any data stored on the current System Storage Pool (Pool 1) to another pool (either Storage Pool 2 or Storage Pool 3) to ensure no data is lost when you reconfigure the system pool.

Remove Current M.2 SSDs: Once all data is safely moved, remove the 4 x 4TB M.2 SSDs from the System Storage Pool.

Install New SSDs for System Pool: Insert the 2 smaller M.2 SSDs that you want to use for the new system pool.

Set Up NAS from Scratch: With the new SSDs installed, set up your NAS from scratch. Install QuTS Hero on the new SSDs and configure them as the new system pool.

Reintroduce Other Drives: After setting up the new system pool, reinsert the 4 x 4TB M.2 SSDs and the drives from Storage Pools 2 and 3. Your NAS should recognize these drives, and the data on Storage Pools 2 and 3 should remain intact and accessible.

Verify Data Integrity: Make sure that all the storage pools are recognized and that all your data is accessible after reconfiguring the system.

P.S. Always make sure to back up your important data before making any significant changes to your NAS setup. This is a crucial step to prevent data loss during the reconfiguration process.