Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Terramaster F4-223 NAS Firewall sttings

Hello
I am in the process of setting up my Terramaster F4-223 NAS security firewall and I want to allow Plex server on the NAS to have access to the internet so it works properly.
If I set a allow rule for my local network of a IP range of 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255 and select all ports to access the NAS without allowing outside access, will this interfere with the operation of Plex with this rule.

Thanks in advance.
Mark.

PS. You have one of the best Youtube channels out there hands down. Keep up the amazing work.
Thanks for reaching out, and I appreciate the kind words about the YouTube channel!

Regarding your Terramaster F4-223 NAS firewall setup, your plan to allow access for the local network with an IP range of 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255 and all ports sounds good for general NAS access. However, for Plex to function properly, especially if you want remote access to your media, you’ll need to make sure Plex can communicate with the internet.

Here’s what you can do:

Keep Your Local Network Rule: The rule you’ve set up for the IP range 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255 is fine and will allow all your local devices to access the NAS.

Plex Specific Rule for Remote Access:

You need to create a specific firewall rule that allows Plex to communicate through its required ports. By default, Plex uses port 32400 for remote access.
Create a rule that allows incoming and outgoing traffic on port 32400 specifically for Plex. This rule should allow the NAS to handle requests coming from the internet to your Plex server.
Ensure Security:

Even with the Plex rule, your NAS will remain secure because you are only opening a specific port for Plex and keeping the rest of the NAS protected.
Consider using a VPN for accessing your Plex server remotely. This adds an extra layer of security by creating a secure tunnel between your device and the NAS.
This setup will allow Plex to work both locally and remotely without compromising the overall security of your NAS.