Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Keeping ds923+ or change to DS423+

I am considoring selling my newly purchased 923+ and go to a 423+ instead. The issue lies when I playback certain home videos and movies as with transcoding, cpu of the 923+ gets hit hard casuing buffering. I am hosting Jellyfin on it which serves the content.

I also have two other options which include re-encode all content to a supported format by most players on my android devices and TVs or else I host Jellyfin on an external HP elitedesk micro pc with an AMD ryzen 5 2400GE which I use as a Proxmox server and 64GB Ram. The downside of having another PC running is the extra electrical cost which I can maybe mitigate by having the PC only run with Wake on Lan and switch it off when not in use (It will require teaching my parents on how to use it). Most videos are family videos as well as a library of 1080p and 4k movies which I will need to encode to x264 or compatible format. I have some x265 and old mpeg1/2 videos from an old camcorder which will need transcoding.

Going with a 42
Option 1: Switching to DS423+
The DS923+ and DS423+ are both capable NAS models, but they have different strengths:
DS923+ is equipped with an AMD Ryzen R1600 processor, which provides good overall performance but may struggle with heavy transcoding tasks, especially for 4K and x265 content.
DS423+ uses an Intel Celeron J4125 processor, which includes Quick Sync Video. This feature can significantly improve transcoding performance, making the DS423+ better suited for handling multiple streams and formats that require real-time conversion, especially if you often encounter buffering issues.
Switching to the DS423+ could indeed help reduce buffering and improve playback smoothness, thanks to its hardware-accelerated transcoding. This might be the easiest and most straightforward solution if you want to keep everything centralized in one NAS without relying on additional hardware.

Option 2: Re-encoding Content
Re-encoding your media library to more widely supported formats (like x264) could solve the transcoding issue by ensuring your files are natively playable on most devices, minimizing the need for real-time conversion.
This approach could be time-consuming, depending on the size of your library. Also, it might not be practical for all users, especially if you're adding new content regularly.
Once everything is encoded properly, it will take a lot of the workload off the NAS, but it requires an initial investment in time and possibly some additional software for re-encoding.
Option 3: Hosting Jellyfin on the HP EliteDesk with AMD Ryzen 5 2400GE
The AMD Ryzen 5 2400GE in your HP EliteDesk is more powerful than the processors in either the DS923+ or DS423+. It can handle more demanding transcoding tasks without struggling as much.
Running Jellyfin on this dedicated machine could provide the best performance for transcoding, especially for 4K and older formats like x265 or MPEG1/2.
Using Wake on LAN to power the PC on and off as needed is a good idea to save energy costs. While this setup requires a bit more management, it offers flexibility and high performance.
Recommendation Based on Your Needs
Given your concerns about electrical costs and the convenience of use, here are some thoughts:

If simplicity and integrated management are key and you want to keep everything within one NAS environment, switching to the DS423+ makes sense. It should handle Jellyfin and transcoding better than the DS923+ due to its hardware-accelerated transcoding capabilities. This would reduce the hassle of teaching others to use Wake on LAN or manage another device.

If you're okay with a bit of complexity and want the best possible performance for transcoding, setting up Jellyfin on the HP EliteDesk with your existing Proxmox server could be the best option. Using Wake on LAN minimizes power usage, and the setup will handle a wider range of video formats smoothly. You could also consider automating some tasks to make the system more user-friendly for others.

Re-encoding your content could be a middle ground, but this would only be viable if you’re okay with spending time initially converting your media library. This would reduce the transcoding load on any NAS, but it's not a complete solution if new content is regularly added.

Final Thoughts
If electrical costs are a major concern and you prefer an all-in-one solution, go with the DS423+ for its better transcoding capabilities. However, if you prioritize top-notch performance and don't mind managing an extra device, hosting Jellyfin on your HP EliteDesk could be the way to go.

Both options are viable depending on your preferences, but since your content involves a mix of older formats and 4K, the DS423+ might offer the best blend of simplicity, performance, and power efficiency.

https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/