Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Home nas

Hi, I am a fan of your video. I have a dell latitude 5490 to repourpose as nas. Is that doable? What os use? External drive? Was thinking to buy an external enclosure to put nvme to save space. The main use will be to run plex/jellyfin, and as cloud to replace google drive/photo to syncronise with my phone. Maybe learn so.e automatization for my home. Could you please ad ise on this project? Better to find an alternative used pc o build one with ised/cheap parts? In this case amd o intel processor?
1. Repurposing the Dell Latitude 5490 as a NAS:
Using your Dell laptop as a NAS is definitely doable! It’s a good way to make use of existing hardware without spending too much. Here’s how you can approach it:

Operating System: I’d recommend using an OS designed for NAS functionality, like TrueNAS or OpenMediaVault. These are user-friendly and offer a lot of features for running Plex/Jellyfin, and they’re great for setting up a personal cloud.
External Drives: Since you want to use NVMe storage, getting an external NVMe enclosure is a smart idea. This will help you save space and provide faster data access speeds compared to traditional HDDs. Ensure the enclosure supports the NVMe speeds to get the most out of it.
Storage Configuration: Connect the NVMe external drive to your laptop using USB 3.0 or higher for better performance. This will be your primary storage for media files, and it’s great for quick access.
2. Considering a Used PC or Building a New One:
While using your Dell laptop is a good start, if you find its performance limiting in the future, you might want to consider a more dedicated setup.

Used PC Option: Look for a used desktop with a decent CPU. Both AMD and Intel are fine, but for a budget NAS, an older Intel i5 or i7, or AMD Ryzen 3 or 5 would work well. These can handle Plex/Jellyfin, and any basic automation tasks without breaking the bank.
Building a New System: If you prefer building, you can find affordable parts on the used market. Again, an AMD Ryzen 3/5 or Intel i5/i7 with at least 8GB of RAM would be ideal for a home NAS setup. Consider motherboards with multiple SATA ports if you plan on adding more drives in the future.
3. Using the NAS for Cloud Replacement and Automation:
Plex/Jellyfin: Both are great for media streaming. Plex is more polished but may have some features behind a paywall. Jellyfin is open-source and completely free. Both will allow you to stream content to your phone and other devices.
Cloud Replacement: You can use Nextcloud or Syncthing to sync files, photos, and videos from your phone to your NAS, effectively replacing Google Drive/Photos.
Home Automation: If you’re interested in automation, you can explore using Home Assistant on your NAS. It’s a powerful platform for integrating smart devices and automating tasks around your home.