Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

getting it right

I bought and built my own home NAS setup a few years back. It all seems to be working although I am not sure how I managed... (your videos helped!).

I now just wanted to add two NEW 12TB drives to my slots but wanted to ensure that I was doing it correctly for sure this time. I want to split 1 dual drive and use it solely for PLEX and the other solely for storage.

I wanted tobuy a session but I don't have the bread and I don't guess I need a full one hour Zoom session either. But I would like some eyes on my system somehow. I don't just have one question/problem. Just a bunch of little questions

Example: I never changed my HTTPS port because I'm scared like a little girl.

Just some Q&A would be good. Or how can I get you all of the information you need in order to look at my setup and tell me what I can do better or best? thanks,! Todd Kramer
It sounds like you've done a great job so far with your NAS setup, especially if you've managed it all yourself. Adding new drives and fine-tuning your setup can be a bit nerve-wracking, but I’m here to help you get it right.

Adding New Drives
When adding two new 12TB drives to your NAS, here’s how you can ensure everything is set up correctly:

Back Up Your Data: Before making any changes, it’s always a good idea to back up your important data. Even if things seem straightforward, it’s better to be safe.

Check Your RAID Setup: Depending on how your NAS handles RAID, you’ll want to ensure that the new drives are configured properly. Since you want one drive for Plex and the other for general storage, you’ll likely be setting them up as separate volumes:

Plex Drive: You can configure one of the new drives as a single volume dedicated to Plex. This will keep your media files separate and organized.
Storage Drive: The other drive can be set up as another volume just for general storage.
Volume Creation: In your NAS interface (Synology, QNAP, or whichever brand you're using), go to the Storage Manager and create a new volume for each of the drives. Make sure you select the correct file system and RAID level (likely RAID 1 or none if it's a single drive).

HTTPS Port and Security
Regarding your HTTPS port:

Changing Ports: It’s understandable to be cautious, but changing your HTTPS port can enhance security by making your NAS less predictable to potential attackers. In your NAS settings, look for the option to change the default HTTPS port (usually 5001) to something less obvious, like 54321. Just remember to update any bookmarks or shortcuts you use to access your NAS.