Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

AIOPCWA NAS device N305

I found this the other day looking for a NAS (on Amayon DE) with enough juice that can run a couple of VMs. I was wondering if anyone has one already and could provide a first impression? The price seems reasonable and it states that it supports any NAS OS you want to run on it.

[Image: 61TgwkXkN0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg]
(08-12-2024, 08:47 AM)Heh, i came here with the same question, it seems you get quite a lot more value for money than the Terramaster 4 bay NAS'but i'm worried about driver support, and designflaws like splittint PCIe in a suboptimal way arrush Wrote: I found this the other day looking for a NAS (on Amayon DE) with enough juice that can run a couple of VMs. I was wondering if anyone has one already and could provide a first impression? The price seems reasonable and it states that it supports any NAS OS you want to run on it.

[Image: 61TgwkXkN0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg]
It looks like both of you are curious about the AIOPCWA NAS device with the N305 processor, particularly regarding its ability to run VMs and the overall value it offers compared to other options like the Terramaster NAS.

First Impressions and Considerations:
Processor (N305): The Intel N305 is a low-power CPU designed for efficiency rather than raw performance. While it's sufficient for basic NAS functions and can handle a couple of lightweight VMs, it may struggle with more demanding workloads or multiple VMs running simultaneously.
VM Performance: If your VM tasks are relatively light (e.g., basic Linux servers, small databases, or simple apps), the N305 should be able to manage. However, for more intensive tasks like video transcoding or heavy database operations, you might find the performance lacking.
Operating System Support: The claim that it supports any NAS OS is promising, giving you flexibility. Popular NAS OS options like TrueNAS, UnRAID, or even custom Linux setups should work, but be mindful of driver compatibility, especially with newer or less common hardware.
PCIe and Expansion: As mentioned, one concern might be how the PCIe lanes are split. If this is done suboptimally, it could impact the performance of connected devices like additional NICs or storage controllers. It's something to look out for, particularly if you plan to expand or upgrade the NAS in the future.
Value for Money: Compared to options like the Terramaster 4-bay NAS, this device seems to offer more flexibility and potentially better specs at a similar or lower price point. However, it’s essential to weigh the pros and cons, especially regarding long-term support and community feedback, which might be more established for brands like Terramaster.
Final Thoughts:
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly NAS with the flexibility to run VMs and various NAS OS options, the AIOPCWA with the N305 processor could be a good choice. Just keep in mind its limitations in terms of processing power and potential driver support issues. If anyone in the community has hands-on experience with this device, their insights would be invaluable in assessing its real-world performance.
Any chance there might be a review of this product in the future?