Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Replacing QNAP NAS

Hi,
I would like to ask your opinion to replace an old QNAP TS-859.
I got quite a lot of photos,movies,music that keeps growing.
I wanted something good enough to handle the backups of 3 laptops, some sync/Time Machine, be able to stream, using it as external drive for some hungry space video apps. Also start using VM on the NAS. Optional, but want to go for the QuTS Hero OS.
Having a HDMI is also a good plus, but not a deal breaker.
Wanting to keep on QNAP, but up for other options.
Saw the QNAP TS-673A, It will need some upgrades, biggest down, its that is an old model (over 3 year).
Also checked QNAP TVS h674, quite expensive, overkill, but future proof and no upgrades. Finally the Asustor Lockerstor 6 Gen 2, needs some upgrades, but don't know the brand.
Discarded Qnap TS-664 because you cant upgrade RAM.
Above all, want something reliable and with long time spam to next buy.
Thank you
Thank you for reaching out. Based on your needs and requirements, I have a strong recommendation for you: the QNAP TS-64 series. This series offers a good balance of performance, scalability, and price, making it an excellent option for your use case. Here's why it could be a great fit:

QNAP TS-464
Performance:

CPU: Powered by the Intel Celeron N5105/N5095 quad-core processor, which provides ample performance for your needs, including backups, media streaming, and running virtual machines.
RAM: Supports up to 16GB DDR4 memory, which can handle multiple tasks and ensure smooth operation.
Storage:

Drive Bays: Comes with 4 drive bays, allowing you to start with a smaller capacity and expand up to your required 40TB as needed.
Expansion: Supports M.2 NVMe SSDs for caching, improving performance for your space-hungry video applications.
Connectivity:

Network: Features dual 2.5GbE ports for high-speed network connectivity, ensuring fast data transfer and smooth streaming.
HDMI: Equipped with HDMI output, making it easy to connect to a TV or monitor for direct media playback.