Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stream to multiple clients

If I was wanting to host a plex server for 20+ people to stream from, what specs would you recommend to accommodate that and to possibly expand from? Do you recommend only streaming 1080p if the goal is to maximize the amount of people streaming from my server? I realize that will be expensive, but just want to see what you think it would take. Can you recommend a couple pre built NAS you would recommend for this goal? Would you suggest buying a cheaper NAS and upgrading certain parts, or spending more money on a NAS that already has the necessary parts. What is your preferred operating system for beginners and non beginners? ?
If you're planning to host a Plex server for 20+ people, I recommend considering the QNAP 88X series or the TS-h874 from the 74 series. These models allow for GPU card upgrades, significantly increasing the number of concurrent transcodes your server can handle. Here are two recommended options:

QNAP TVS-88X Series
QNAP TVS-h1288X

Processor: Intel Xeon W-1250 6-core processor for high performance.
RAM: Comes with 16GB DDR4, expandable up to 128GB, ensuring smooth operation even with heavy usage.
Network: Equipped with dual 10GbE ports and four 2.5GbE ports for high-speed data transfer.
Storage: Offers 8 x 3.5" HDD bays, 4 x 2.5" SSD bays, and 2 x M.2 NVMe slots for SSD caching, providing ample storage and fast access.
GPU Upgrade: Supports GPU card upgrades, allowing for enhanced transcoding capabilities, making it ideal for handling multiple 4K streams.
QNAP TS-h874
QNAP TS-h874

Processor: Intel Core i7-12700 or i5-12400 12-core processor for robust performance in demanding environments.
RAM: Includes 16GB DDR4 ECC memory, which can be expanded up to 128GB for future-proofing and handling large workloads.
Network: Dual 2.5GbE ports and 10GbE expansion options ensure robust network performance and efficient data handling.
Storage: Features 8 x 3.5" HDD bays for large storage capacity, along with 2 x M.2 NVMe slots for SSD caching.
GPU Upgrade: Compatible with GPU card upgrades, significantly boosting the number of concurrent transcodes, perfect for high-demand streaming environments.