Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Seeking knowledge

Hello,

My name is Taylor. I've watched many of your videos an youtube and am a big fan! I'm emailing in hopes of learning from you directly. I’m currently a full time firefighter. We spend our down time at the station watching tv shows and movies. Some of the guys were complaining about all the streaming services we subscribe to. I told them I would look into alternatives. That’s when I discovered Plex and decided I wanted to learn how to host my own media server to help out the guys at the station and possibly friends and family in the future. In my search for knowledge, I went down a rabbit hole learning about different server configurations. This led me to your channel which was impressive and overwhelming seeing as how I have little to no knowledge of most of the things you talk about in your videos. I consider myself a quick learner but have never taken the time to learn these things before. If you are interested, I would love to learn from you. Please let me know if this can be
Thank you for reaching out and for your kind words about my videos. I'm thrilled to hear you're interested in setting up a Plex media server for your station and potentially for friends and family. Based on your requirements and the currently available products, here are some recommendations focusing on NAS models that can handle your streaming needs.

Recommended NAS Models for Plex Media Server
Synology DS423+

Overview: This NAS offers excellent performance for a home media server.
Specs: Quad-core Intel Celeron J4125, 4GB RAM (expandable), four drive bays.
Why: Capable of handling a single 4K remote stream or several 1080p streams in Plex, making it a versatile option for most home setups.
QNAP TS-464

Overview: A robust and versatile NAS suitable for media streaming and storage.
Specs: Quad-core Intel Celeron N5105/N5095, 4GB RAM (expandable), four drive bays.
Why: Similar to the DS423+, it is well-suited for a single 4K remote stream or multiple 1080p streams.
For Multiple 4K Streams
If you need to handle several 4K streams, the QNAP TVS-474 is a better option, especially when equipped with a GPU card. This model provides the extra processing power required for multiple high-resolution streams.

QNAP TVS-474
Overview: High-performance NAS with advanced features.
Specs: Quad-core Intel i5/i7, expandable RAM, and multiple drive bays.
Why: Adding a GPU card significantly enhances its capability to handle several 4K streams simultaneously, providing a smooth and high-quality streaming experience.