Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Choosing NAS

Hello dears

I followed your NAS builder and the result was for

(QNAP TVS-h674T-i5-32G-US 6 Bay)

And I found used on Ebay in excellent condition and within my budget (around 1300$)

But when I compare it to UGREEN 6800 pro
Which will cost around 1000$ as per Kickstart site

I need really your advice please
Especially that my plan for the machine is to serve me at least 5 to 7 years

And I'm intended to use for almost everything
1-Plex and other media serving
2-servers and back for laptops and mobiles backup for me and my family instead of icloud and other clouds
3-smart home modalities with installing home assistant on it or connecting it to my Hubitat hub
4- cameras CCTV
+/- virtual machine (may be)

Thanks a lot for your amazing help

Thank you for reaching out and for considering our NAS builder recommendations. It sounds like you have some exciting plans for your NAS, and I’m happy to help you weigh your options.

You’ve mentioned two options: the QNAP TVS-h674T and the UGREEN 6800 Pro. Both are strong candidates, but they cater to slightly different needs and preferences.

QNAP TVS-h674T:
The QNAP TVS-h674T is a 6-bay NAS with robust features and a good reputation. At around $1300 for a used unit in excellent condition, it offers:

Purpose-Built Design: It’s designed specifically as a NAS with dedicated features for media serving, backups, and smart home integration. This includes excellent support for applications like Plex and Home Assistant, as well as built-in support for multiple types of backups and virtualization.
Reliability and Support: QNAP provides a comprehensive software suite, including QTS, which supports a wide range of functionalities from media serving to backup solutions and smart home integrations. It also tends to have strong community and technical support.
Expandability: With 6 bays, you have ample room to expand your storage needs in the future.
UGREEN 6800 Pro:
The UGREEN 6800 Pro, priced around $1000, is a more versatile hardware option. It’s essentially a high-performance PC with a powerful GPU, which can be used to build a custom NAS solution. This option provides:

Flexibility: You can install software like TrueNAS or Unraid, giving you complete control over how you set up your NAS and the ability to customize it to your specific needs.
Performance: It offers powerful hardware that can handle intensive tasks, including media serving, virtual machines, and more complex smart home setups.
Cost Efficiency: It’s generally cheaper upfront and can be upgraded or customized as needed.
Considerations for Your Long-Term Use:

Longevity: If you plan to use the system for 5 to 7 years, the QNAP TVS-h674T might provide a more straightforward, reliable experience with less maintenance and troubleshooting compared to a DIY setup with the UGREEN 6800 Pro.
Ease of Use: The QNAP offers a ready-to-use solution with less setup and configuration, whereas the UGREEN 6800 Pro requires you to set up and maintain your software environment.
Functionality: Both options can handle Plex, backups, smart home integrations, and potentially virtual machines, but the QNAP provides a more out-of-the-box experience with dedicated apps and features for these tasks.