Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Best NAS build 2024 (New to NAS)

Hi,

Firstly i have to say you are really great in explaining and comparing NAS setups. I have been watching a lot of your videos and for someone with medium knowledge of PC building i learned a lot about NAS setups from your videos. I saw your review of the Jonsbo N5, and although its not out yet, it made me think about a potential setup. Using the N5 as a base for a NAS build, i wanted to ask you:

- What motherboard would you choose to go with this case? Could be great if it has EEC memory options, Quicksync, Strong CPU, Power efficient, NVM support, and enough PCIE options
- What processor would you recommend with that board
- And in case i want maximum cooling and as quiet as possible, what cooling would you add to this case?

Oh and one last question, in case setting up a BIOS for this build is something a bit too advanced for me, is there a chance i can get help with this, i dont mind paying for it.

Thank you very much in advance, you rock!

All the best,
Vincent van Bentem
Thank you for your kind words and for reaching out with your questions about building a NAS using the Jonsbo N5 case. It's great to hear that you've been finding the NAS setup videos helpful. Let's dive into your questions to help you plan out your NAS build:

Motherboard Recommendation:
For the Jonsbo N5 NAS build, I recommend considering the ASRock Rack X570D4U-2L2T motherboard. Here are the reasons why it fits well with your requirements:

EEC Memory Support: The ASRock Rack X570D4U-2L2T supports ECC (Error-Correcting Code) memory, ensuring data integrity which is crucial for NAS setups handling important files like videos, photos, and documents.

Quicksync Capability: It features an integrated GPU with Quick Sync Video support, beneficial for hardware-accelerated transcoding in Plex.

Strong CPU Support: Compatible with Ryzen 3000 and 5000 series processors, providing strong CPU options for your NAS needs.

Power Efficiency: Designed for power efficiency, which is important for 24/7 NAS operations.

NVMe Support: Includes PCIe 4.0 x16 and PCIe 4.0 x4 M.2 slots for NVMe SSDs, offering fast storage options.

PCIe Expansion: Offers sufficient PCIe options for expansion cards such as additional network adapters or RAID controllers.

Processor Recommendation:
Pair the ASRock Rack X570D4U-2L2T motherboard with a processor like the AMD Ryzen 7 5700G. This CPU combines strong performance with integrated Radeon graphics, supporting your Plex server needs for up to 4K video streams.

Cooling Solution:
For maximum cooling efficiency and quiet operation in the Jonsbo N5 case, I recommend the Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black CPU cooler. It provides excellent cooling performance while remaining whisper-quiet, ideal for a home NAS setup.

BIOS Setup Assistance:
If setting up the BIOS seems daunting, you can seek professional assistance from local computer shops or online services that offer remote setup support for a fee. Many professionals specialize in configuring PC components remotely, ensuring your NAS build is optimized and ready for use.

Storage Recommendation:
Consider pairing your NAS build with WD Red Pro 10TB or WD Gold 12TB hard drives. These drives are optimized for NAS environments, offering reliability, performance, and ample storage capacity for your files, videos, and Plex media.