Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Terramaster F4-424 vs ?

Hello,

I want to update my home storage from JBOD 2-bay enclosure, 102 ReadyNAS, & external G-RAID

So that I have a 4-bay NAS with the ability to segment configuration into 2 groups with 2-hdds, expand
storage with NVMe, and use differnt size drives.

My use is for storage of media (i.e. photos, video), files local & cloud, and backups for linux and MacOS.

The NAS would be connected to switch that supports 2.5G.

I'm leaning to the Terramaster F4-424, due to the CPU, 2.5G ports, multiple hdd support, NVMe slots, and TRaid.

I have a linux server that runs plex using media stored on NAS, therefore I don't use NAS as a service host.

My question is the F4-424 a good selection for a approximate 5yr use or is there another NAS you would recommend?

Cheers,
Marc
Thanks for reaching out with your query about upgrading your home storage setup. Based on your needs and the Terramaster F4-424 specifications, I'll provide some insights and alternative recommendations to help you make an informed decision.

Terramaster F4-424 Overview:
The Terramaster F4-424 is a solid choice with its Intel Celeron N5105/N5095 quad-core processor, dual 2.5G Ethernet ports, NVMe slots, and support for multiple HDD sizes. It’s particularly appealing for its performance, expandability, and affordability, making it a viable option for a five-year use case. The TRaid feature also offers flexibility in combining different drives, which is a plus for your varied storage needs.

Use Case Fit:

Media Storage and Backup: The F4-424 is well-suited for storing media files and backups. With the capability to create different storage pools, you can segment your drives for different purposes.
Network Connectivity: The dual 2.5G ports will integrate well with your network switch, ensuring fast data transfers.
Plex Server: Since you’re running Plex on a separate Linux server, the NAS won’t be burdened with streaming tasks, allowing it to focus on storage duties.

Alternatives would Qnap 62 or 64 series models.