Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Want to buy media server. Looking at Synology 2 bay da223 or Equivalent?

Is the Synology 2-bay DS223 capable of running this?

What device would you recommend that I could purchase for under $300, and what hard drive would you suggest?

I need something that I can configure fairly easily. I have a low understanding of building this device, so I'm just trying to get something up and running.

Also, I am using a ClonerAlliance device to record streaming shows. Will I be able to put them on the NAS device, and will Plex recognize them, or will I have to treat them like a home movie? Can I do that?

I really don't want to get into recording movies off my computer, so I'm hoping the ClonerAlliance will work.

Lots of questions, appreciate any help you can give.

Thank you for reaching out! I'm happy to help with your media server needs and answer your questions.

Synology 2-Bay DS223 Capability:
Yes, the Synology DS223 is a great choice for a media server. It's capable of handling media storage and streaming with Plex.

Recommendation for a Device Under $300:

QNAP TS-230: This is another solid option within your budget. It offers similar features to the Synology DS223.
Asustor AS1002T v2: Known for its user-friendly setup and performance, this is another good choice.
Hard Drives: I recommend the Western Digital Red or Seagate IronWolf drives. They are designed for NAS use and are very reliable.
Ease of Configuration:
Both Synology and QNAP NAS devices are designed to be user-friendly, with guided setups and extensive tutorials. You should find it relatively easy to get started, even with limited technical knowledge.

Using ClonerAlliance Device:

Yes, you can store recordings from your ClonerAlliance device on the NAS. As long as both devices are on the same network, transferring files should be straightforward.
Plex should recognize these recordings, but you might need to manage metadata and file names to ensure proper organization. In some cases, you may need to treat them like home movies.
Media Storage and Backup Needs:
For storing 200-400 movies and backing up one computer, I recommend starting with 2-4 TB of storage. This should cover your needs, with room to expand if necessary.