Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS for Plex/Archive and possibly 4k editing (Single User)

Hi there.

I have hit Data-Hording breakpoint (it was inevitable) and I'm looking for the best NAS Box for Plex (LAN), Data Archival (Creative Content assets, Training materials etc) and possibly the potential for editing 4k video (Single User) although I am still content to work on local drives as currently my LAN switch is only Gigabit.

I have 8x Seagate IronWolf Pro 22TB on their way (payment for a job) so will need a barebones box. Any suggestions would be most welcome, as I am suffering from information overload.

All the best

Nigel
Given your need for a reliable and high-capacity DAS solution for Plex, data archival, and potential 4K video editing, here are some robust DAS options that will complement your setup:

DAS Options:

Pegasus3 R8

Bays: 8
Interface: 2x Thunderbolt 3
RAID: 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, 50, 60, JBOD
Form Factor: Tower
Warranty: 3 years
Suitable For: High-performance requirements with versatile RAID options.
Lacie 12big Thunderbolt

Bays: 12
Interface: 2x Thunderbolt 3, USB 3.1 combo
RAID: 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, 50, 60
Warranty: 3-5 years
Suitable For: Large-scale storage with high-speed connectivity.
OWC ThunderBay 8

Interface: 2x Thunderbolt 3, DisplayPort
RAID: 0, 1, 0+1, 4, 5, JBOD
Warranty: 1 year
Suitable For: High flexibility and good performance with various RAID configurations.
SanDisk G-RAID SHUTTLE 8

Interface: 2x Thunderbolt 3, 2x USB 3.2 Gen2
Warranty: 5 years
Suitable For: Enterprise-class performance and reliability with Ultrastar drives inside.
Terra-Master D8 Thunderbolt 3

Interface: 2x Thunderbolt 3, DP 1.2
RAID: Single Disk, JBOD, RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, 10
Warranty: 2 years
Suitable For: High-speed data transfers and versatile RAID configurations.
These options provide a range of choices depending on your specific needs for performance, capacity, and connectivity. The Pegasus and TerraMaster models are particularly noted for their high performance and robust RAID options, making them suitable for intensive tasks like 4K video editing and large-scale data storage.
Hi Ed, andĀ thanks for taking the time to provide a very extensive list of options - it is very much appreciated.

Unfortunately DAS will not suit my Plex requirements, hence the request for suggestions for the best NAS Box for Plex (LAN).

Any NAS (not DAS) suggestions would be most welcome.

All the best

Nigel
(Ephergie)

(07-12-2024, 11:45 AM)ed Wrote: Given your need for a reliable and high-capacity DAS solution for Plex, data archival, and potential 4K video editing, here are some robust DAS options that will complement your setup:

DAS Options:

Pegasus3 R8

Interface: 2x Thunderbolt 3
Warranty: 3 years
Suitable For: High-performance requirements with versatile RAID options.
Lacie 12big Thunderbolt

Bays: 12
Interface: 2x Thunderbolt 3, USB 3.1 combo
RAID: 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, 50, 60
Warranty: 3-5 years
Suitable For: Large-scale storage with high-speed connectivity.
OWC ThunderBay 8

Interface: 2x Thunderbolt 3, DisplayPort
RAID: 0, 1, 0+1, 4, 5, JBOD
Warranty: 1 year
Suitable For: High flexibility and good performance with various RAID configurations.
SanDisk G-RAID SHUTTLE 8

Interface: 2x Thunderbolt 3, 2x USB 3.2 Gen2
Warranty: 5 years
Suitable For: Enterprise-class performance and reliability with Ultrastar drives inside.
Terra-Master D8 Thunderbolt 3

Interface: 2x Thunderbolt 3, DP 1.2
RAID: Single Disk, JBOD, RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, 10
Warranty: 2 years
Suitable For: High-speed data transfers and versatile RAID configurations.
These options provide a range of choices depending on your specific needs for performance, capacity, and connectivity. The Pegasus and TerraMaster models are particularly noted for their high performance and robust RAID options, making them suitable for intensive tasks like 4K video editing and large-scale data storage.
For a NAS that can handle Plex, archival, and potential 4K editing down the road, you'll want something robust. Check out options like Synology DS1821+ or QNAP TS-h973AX. They're solid choices for handling large storage arrays and have the horsepower for Plex streaming.