Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Plex NAS

I have about 10 TB of Movies on PC setup as PMS. I want to set up dedicated NAS PMS. I have been looking at Synology DS 423+, QNAP TS-464 8G and Terramaster F4-423 as options with 2 Seagate Iron Wolf Pro HDDs (16-22 TB) set up in RAID 1 leaving to Bays for future expansion. I would probably upgrade RAM and install 2- 1TB NVME drives at initial setup to maximize performance and future-proof NAS. I have about 10 people using the PMS on and off (some on LAN and other externally) I try to set up media for direct stream but notice transcoding often occurs as media is played. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Based on your requirements, Celeron-based NAS models like the Synology DS423+ or QNAP TS-464 8G can handle a single 4K remote stream and several 1080p streams without issues. Locally, these NAS units perform well with no restrictions. If you anticipate needing more extensive streaming capabilities or want to ensure smooth performance under heavier loads, especially with transcoding tasks, consider upgrading to QNAP's 74 series or 88 series models equipped with a dedicated PCIe GPU card. This setup will provide enhanced processing power and efficiency, making it a solid investment for your Plex NAS needs.